Thursday, March 18, 2010

RIP Alex Chilton


Alex Chilton, singer and guitarist of Big Star, one of the most influential rock groups to emerge from the early 1970s, has passed away at the age of 59. Chilton reportedly suffered a heart attack today in New Orleans, just days before Big Star were scheduled to perform at the SXSW Festival in Austin, Texas. Chilton had been complaining about his health earlier in the day, and was eventually taken to a New Orleans hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Truly saddening news.

3 comments:

  1. r.i.p. alex
    saw him a few times in the eighties. always a pleasure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey hey,

    Found your wonderfully eclectic blog while doing a little LX Chilton, err, "research" (I'm one of those aging college-boy music nerds he no doubt laughed at in life). Anyway, thanks for turning me on to Kool Keith, several other interesting looking hip-hop albums, and The Bad Plus. I think I'm going to learn a lot if I stick around here. Thanks for all of these and the Arto Lindsay "invoke" post, and I'm sure one or two other things as well.

    Cheers,

    Neil

    ReplyDelete