Thursday, December 23, 2010

Tyler, The Creator (Odd Future) - Bastard


I remember when I first heard the Slim Shady LP. I was 12 when it came out and had seen the "My Name Is" video on MTV. I asked my dad to drive me to go buy it and popped it into the car CD player. As soon as I heard: "the views and events expressed here are totally fucked" I knew it would be something different. Eminem proceeded to rap about doing all types of drugs, growing up poor, killing people, rape, suicide, and pretty much every other taboo subject you can think of. Needless to say my dad was not pleased when he heard it but it was fascinating. Who knew he would later become one of the most popular pop stars of the noughties.

Odd Future are a collective of teenage rappers and producers from L.A.. Clearly they thought the same as I did since in this release they rap about the same things but they take it a step further. Except most of them are bastards...

"Fuck a deal I just want my father's email so I can tell him how much I fucking hate him in detail".

While Em was angry you could tell he was just fucking with you in some songs. Here when Tyler, and his depressed voice, raps about cutting himself and being suicidal you almost believe it. It's half confessional, half shock, and insane. The beats are bleak and minimalist.

The best hip hop album of the year is from a teenage misfit from L.A. who raps about doing coke, hating his father, and anally raping the Virgin Mary. Then he tells us to play this in church. 'Nough said.

They also have a ton of albums on their website you can download for free so check it out: oddfuture.tumblr.com

1 comment:

  1. tina burn you're fuckin weave! tina burn you're fuckin weave! tina burn you're fuckin weave!

    ReplyDelete